Thursday, March 20, 2008

THE MALL AND SIMPLE PLEASURES

I am not much of a shopper. Unfortunately, I have a daughter that LOVES to shop!!! She thinks that a trip to Target without buying a new pair of shoes is insane (and usually earns me a look of disgust as she stomps her foot and folds her arms--with all the drama a four year old girl can muster!)

I do enjoy shopping at Target and have been known to spend more than I should there, but I am not too fond of the mall. I cannot remember the last time that I took Olivia to the mall and I know Cosette has never been. Well the other day we found ourselves in the vicinity of the mall with nothing else to do. I told Olivia I was leary of going to the mall because I was afraid she would run off or not obey me. With much pleading from her and promises to be good --- we headed to the mall. I decided if she started to cause trouble, we would leave IMMEDIATELY!!

As we pulled into the parking lot, Olivia asked if we were at the temple. She was overwhelmed with its size. We entered the mall through Sears ---right where the riding lawn mowers were. She sat on each one of them and I truly believe we could have left at that point and she would have thought the mall was the best place!!

After leaving the mowers we headed to the door leading out into the mall. As we neared the door, Olivia stopped and with a look of awe asked if that was heaven!!! (I told her to some people it is!)

The first thing she saw were the escalators---she was estatic! While Cosette and I stood at the bottom, Olivia rode the escalators up and down---over and over again. All the while waving to people and grinning and laughing. Her excitement was contagious and brought back memories of times I have been asked by security to leave the mall because my friends and I were having races on the escalators (We would race trying to run up the down and down the up--try it sometime--it is fun!).

We then went to several stores: Hallmark--where she and 3 other girls opened up each singing card, The Disney Store--where we had to look at all things princess and fairies, Libby Lu---where she was sprinkled with glitter and The Children's Place---where she tried on several dresses for Easter. We rode the carousel, the glass elevator, ate lunch at Fresh Choice, visited the Easter Bunny and rode every set of escalators several times. All the while Olivia is skipping from store to store with a huge smile on her face. It is at this point that I think to myself that I have deprived my child of some of the simple pleasures!

As we were getting ready to leave, we passed by a kiosk that had shiny, pretty hair clips. Olivia stopped to look and the lady told her she would love to fix her hair. I gave the lady a look that said "You have got to be kidding me!" But Olivia was enjoying her special day and decided that she needed to be pampered some more. So she sat in the chair while the lady attempted to comb through her hair. Olivia was absolutely wonderful the first 1/2 hour. By the second 1/2 hour she was tired and her head hurt. She cried most of that 1/2 hour. But at the end of the session she loved her hair and could hardly wait to get home to show her dad!

Olivia loved the mall and has decided that we should visit it more often---AUGH!! What have I done to myself!?! Truthfully, it was a pleasant trip and I think I could find myself back there again soon---even if it is to just sit back and watch Olivia enjoy herself and soak it all up!!!






7 comments:

Nicole said...

Welcome to the blogging world! I to deprive my kids of the mall. I don't like to go there myself, let alone with four kids. We took Hallie and Avery for their birthdays last year, and they thought it was like heaven too. Olivia's hair story reminds me of Hallie's hair story when we were in Mexico last year. Nick's uncle talked her into getting braids done, ala Bo Derek in "10." She thought it was fun for the first 15 minutes, 2 hours later, not so much. They told us it would take a half an hour, they greatly underestimated the thickness of Hallie's hair. Olivia's hair looks beautiful!

Jared & Larisa said...

Way cute blog, Sheri :) Can't wait to see more...

Lisa said...

I am so excited you have a blog! Your family is so cute!

First Child said...

hey great blog site we enjoyed looking at it. cant wait to see more. Olivia's hair looks great. the girls were excited for the easter presents adn say thank you.
brian

Krystal said...

I love your Blog!!! Maybe Olivia can give Ashlan a talking to so I can enjoy a little more mall time! Hope you guys had Great Easter. oh.. and I tagged you so go to my website and get all the details :). See you soon

Newman Family said...

Okay, cutest thing in the world. I love her hair. I can't believe she sat there that long. I'm so excited you started a blog. Yeah!
Meg

Anne said...

Sheri,
That is the cutest story about taking her to the mall! Blogs are great for things like that. "Is this heaven?" That cracked me up! She's a girl after my own heart. I LOVE to shop. But I'm wary of taking my kids to the mall these days... I don't approve of many of the window displays, let alone the "live" people walking around showing off the latest trends... (i.e. body piercings, tattoos, etc.). Enjoy it while they are young enough not to notice!